Approach to the Curriculum
At Stowford School we teach the National Curriculum through topics because we believe that by linking learning in a meaningful way children are able to understand and deepen their learning. We link our English and maths in a cross curricular way wherever possible. Foundation subjects such as history and geography are linked to topics. Some subjects are taught discretely such as French in KS2.
At Stowford School we aim to:
- Provide a rich, broad and balanced curriculum and meaningful learning experiences which give pupils a growing knowledge and awareness of the world in which they live, skills to succeed and a passion for life long learning.
- Promote the highest level of achievement for all individual pupils, across all subjects, regardless of age, gender, background or ability, in a fully inclusive manner.
- Promote a ‘Growth Mindset’; this encourages all children to strive for success and supports essential learning skills such as motivation, hard work and resilience.
- Teach and promote social, moral, spiritual and cultural awareness so that children are well equipped to become active, respectful and responsible citizens.
- Teach, promote and celebrate the fundamental British Values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect, and tolerance of everyone's faith and beliefs; to provide children with a knowledge and understanding of their social heritage and the importance of diversity, thereby safeguarding them against the risks of extremism and radicalisation. This is embedded in the school values of Respect, Excellence, Friendship.
- Teach, promote and support healthy lifestyles and sustainable physical and emotional well-being through PE curriculum, involvement with ‘Change for Life’ and the EH4MH (Early Help for Mental Health).
- Ensure that children grow up being able to respectfully disagree and to understand that there are many different opinions in the world.
- Respond to children’s interests and follow their leads.
- To see the exciting topics that children study please look at our 'Whole School Curriculum Map' and additional information in the attachments below as well as the 'Curriculum Statements' in this section.